Sunday, December 18, 2011

Mrs. Walter's Cinnamon Roll Recipe

Isn't it amazing how wonderful aromas can bring back such vivid memories from our childhood? One of those wonderful memories for me was from a tiny frame house where a
Fresh hot cinnamon rolls!  uh oh - minus 1!?( I love the center ones!)
baking in the oven (can't your smell them?)
sweet little lady, Mrs. Walters, baked for people in our little town. You could smell the bread baking from blocks away.  Her cinnamon rolls were a staple at our house anytime we were having guests.  Large and ooey gooey with lots of winds.  Every bite was to savor.  The browned butter icing filling every crevice  was a sensory delight.  She was kind enough to give us the recipe when I was a teenager.  Silly me for ever thinking I could duplicate.  I actually have a picture of my sister and I chiseling the icing out of the pan after a dismal failure.  Well it has taken me 40 years to get up the courage to try again and amazingly it was a success!!!  Not sure I can do it again but for this one time they were perfect.  It was such a large batch that I gave them out to several people and now they are asking for the recipe.  I am glad to share it with you and hope that you too can create memorable smells for your families to enjoy this holiday season.  I cannot guarantee your success any more than I can my own but I'm sure you will create warm memories just trying.  Enjoy!!!   ele

Recipe: ( this is half her recipe which will make about 2 dozen, can be doubled if you want)
1 package dry yeast
2 cups water
1/2 cup sugar
6 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
5 Tablespoons melted shortening
1 egg

Measure warm water , add sugar  yeast and salt.  Add half the flour to this mixture and mix well. Add the shortening and 1 beaten egg. (you can add a few drops of yellow food coloring at this point if you would like) Add remaining flour and mix in bowl til smooth.  Allow this to rise til double in bulk ( about 2 hours)punch in down and roll out on a floured surface to about 1/3 inch thick into a large rectangle. Brush entire surface with melted butter and liberal sprinkling of cinnamon and sugar. Roll up from one end and cut into 1/2 to 1" pieces and place in a greased pan. Let these rise again till about double in bulk.  ( some rising will occur during baking)Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes. If not browned bake a little more.  While baking make icing.

Icing: Brown 1/2 cup sugar in skillet and then add 1 stick of butter and 1/4 cup milk.  don't be alarmed if it clumps at this point, keep stirring.  Add powdered sugar while stirring till you get it the consistency you want, should take about 1 lb.   Pour this over hot rolls to completely cover.  These freeze well but always serve warm to get the full pleasure. !

This is how the icing looks.

No comments: