Monday, June 27, 2011

Where to Start!?!

So many times I am asked where do I start on a decorating project.  Let me tell you that I really do not like starting with a blank room.  I know, that doesn't sound like what you would think a designer would say but that is the way I feel.  I remember once when a client was tyring to hire me to do a job but she could not tell me one thing she wanted.  Everything I showed her she liked with no preference for one over the other.  She had nothing she wanted to start with.  Granted it was very early in my career but I did not end up doing the job because we could not land on a starting point.  Now after 20 + years in the business I know I would handle it differently but still want to have some staring point.  The starting point can be one of many things:  a sofa you need to keep, a painting you love, a color you are 'hungry' for, a photo of a room from a magazine, a throw pillow, a rug, etc, etc etc.  When you have a starting point you can get direction.  Remember it is easier to pick a fabric first because paint colors are infinite.  Do not feel 'locked in' to a color palette because of a few inexpensive decorative items you may have . ( pillows, throws, vases).  It is only when there is an expensive item that you MUST keep that you have to stay with certain color palettes.  I would rather have someone wait a little while to start a job in order to do what they really want to do than compromise. So now, go to that room you are thinking about doing and see what you really want to keep and what you can get rid of. (to kids, friends, Salvation Army, garage sale, etc) then GET STARTED!  That is the hardest part of any job.  Take that first step and the others will follow quickly!!  Have fun and enjoy the process!!  Get help if you need it.  I know you are going to Loooooove your new room!!!  hugs, ele

No comments: