Friday, June 3, 2011

Favorite Asparagus Summer Salad


This is what the finished salad look like.  Pretty!
 I have promised many of you that I would post this recipe.  Sorry it has taken so long but with all the graduation, grand baby ( she is so precious!) , and Memorial activities this past week I just couldn't get to the computer.  This is my favorite summer salad but I use the work MY loosely as this is really Giada's recipe ( you know the bombshell Italian girl on the food channel).  It is no secret that I have never really been fond of cooking.  That does not mean I do not cook.  Let's just say in the past I just have not been all that creative in the kitchen.  that all change about 2 years ago when I was home bound most of one winter with a mysterious stomach illness.  Now I realize that most people who have an upset stomach DO NOT watch cooking shows but for some reason that is when I discovered the cooking channel.  WHO KNEW??!! Wow, as fabulous a cook as my mother was, I then realized she did most (read that ALL) of the cooking and we kids did the clean up.  Not a half bad plan and one I followed suit on.  But now I was discovering new ways of cooking and techniques that I never had even heard of.  I have found that Giada from Everyday Italian is my favorite.  Her recipes are always pretty easy and very savory.  Soooo, being the highly suggestible food person that I am, (meaning if somebody talks about it I have to have it!) I began to recreate from what I was watching.  My cooking has become so much more pleasant and creative.  Now I still can't tell you that I cook 6 nights a week, or 5, or 4, but maybe 3.  But when I do cook now I really want something good.  So if you are like me and lacking in the imagination in the cooking department, then you might try watching the cooking channel too.  Food TV has a website that lists all the recipes that are on the shows daily.  So you don't have to write fast wile watching, you can just go to that episode and print out the recipe.  So, all that being said I am sharing with you this 'lick the plate clean'  asparagus salad recipe.  Sorry it didn't get here in time for the holiday but maybe for JULY 4TH!!!

Enjoy every bite!   ele        Pics and directions below!

Start with a package of prosciutto.  I get mine at Costco.

Put enough slices to cover a 10 x 14 jelly roll pan covered with parchment paper


Bake at 450 degrees for 8-10 minutes till crisp.


crumble and set aside as this goes on last


Broil a large bunch of fresh asparagus on the baking sheet.  Drizzle it with olive oil and sea salt and broil for 8 minutes.


Cit a cantaloupe in thin slices. (taste to see if it is a good one, if not throw it out!)



Make close together cuts so that when you run your knife underneath you get very small squares of melon.


You should have a lot of small squares.


Cut up a ball or loaf of fresh Mozzarella cheese. ( again I get at Costco)  Squares should be about same size as melon.


Mix the juice of  2 lemons with about the same amount of olive oil and salt and pepper.  Whisk together.


Then just start layering.  Get a pretty platter and spread out asparagus.  Then mix the melon and cheese together and spread out on asparagus.  Then pour the lemon vinaigrette over it all and put crumbled prosciutto on top!  You will not believe the flavors!  Sweet with savory and creamy!! Fabulous!!!!

recipe


1 bundle of fresh asparagus
6-8 slices presciutto
1 cantelope
1 ball of fresh mozzarella cheese
2 lemons
3 TBS of oilive oil
salt and pepper


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can testify to this salad! Once I had it at Ellen's, I've made it on every potential occasion since!

NANCY said...

lo voy a probar, mmmmmmm delicioso !!!
DIOS TE BENDIGA ELLEN

Mary Lynne said...

Do you think this could go to a potluck for sharing, or does it need to be eaten right after mixing?

Anonymous said...

I made this tonight, but I used fresh pears rather than cantalope since Ricky doesn't like any of the melons.
I thought it was good! Some bites of pear were sweeter than others, but that was okay, too.
Phyllis