Friday, February 25, 2011

My Mother's Lemon Cake

Mmmmmmmmmm... can't you smell it baking?  My mother is known for her lemon cake, better known as 'the required lemon cake'.  It isn't fancy or hard to make but it is yummy. Sweet and tart all at the same time. I was thinking of taking something to Nashville when my grandbaby is born, (this week we hope) so I thought I would make lemon cupcakes. Because  the baby mama has celiac I made a batch of regular and batch of gluten free.  Now I have to say that the gluten free are a little chewy but if you are a celiac then chewy cake is better than 'No Cake'.  Either way you start with a mix and 'doctor' it up! This cake freezes very well.  Mom always kept some in the freezer for a quick thaw in the microwave treat.  My mom's cooking was always a blessing.  Enjoy!!!  ele

Here is the recipe as it hangs on my cabinet door for quick access.


Lemon zest gives the frosting it's tanginess!



Cream cheese and butter in the food processor for the frosting.


Finished cupcakes!  Gluten free marked with fancy picks.
     

    

No comments: